Special Olympics Summer Games at California State University, Long Beach provides a great training opportunity for anyone wishing to develop their radio communication skills, with many different scenarios that occur during this event.
The date of the games is 13-14 June 2015, but you must sign up to volunteer before the end of May. Please contact Scott Marsiglia KI6KWI now to learn more and to get the sign-up form.
This is an interesting and varied radio opportunity, and a big help to a great organization. The activities of the radio volunteers include:
- Operators are assigned to a venue, basketball, aquatics, tennis and so on
- If the venue director needs anything, water, medical staff, facilities access or other resources, the radio operator passes the message regarding the needs of the venue director via radio
- In some cases, we assist with lost and found
- Sometimes athletes need to find their coaches
- We also pass on reports of lost athletes and emergencies that may come up
- We also find out information for just about anyone who asks
The radio activities are coordinated by a southern California amateur radio organization that has worked this event before, so there is good experience and proper organization going into the event.